Madarao is a pleasant reprieve from many of the crowded nearby resorts and has a great mix of tree runs and secret back bowls to please powderhounds!
A little bit off the beaten track but still easy access from Nozawa or Myoko, Madarao offers a great alternative to the hustle and bustle of some of the bigger resorts but has some nice little gems stashed away.
Short hikes (20mins) allows us access to some great BC treeline terrain with varying slopes and aspects.
The route will be chosen and customised by your guide to match you skill & experience level
Routes and Skill Levels
Whether you are a newbie to backcountry looking to learn how to use all the gear and access some untracked powder, or a veteran of the BC looking for something steep and deep, we will design a private tour to fit your needs!
2019 / 20 Price
¥80,000 per tour
Departure / Return Location
If you are staying in Nozawa, we will be able to take you from your accommodation to the destination of the tour, then drop you back at the end of the day. If you are staying elsewhere, we will let you know the meeting point in the destination resort before the day of the tour.
Jan 15th – March 15th
Please arrive by 8:00AM
The minimum age to join our tours is 13 years old. Participants under 18 need a guardian to be present on the tour. Participants under 20 need a signature from a guardian. A minimum level of fitness and downhill skiing/riding ability is required for our tours. For this location, a minimum of L2 is required for fitness, and level 1 for downhill.
Please refer to our Ability Levels.
Ski/snowboard, boots, ski clothing, gloves, helmet, goggles, ski poles with BIG baskets, lunch, plenty of snacks and water
Professional guide Avalanche transciever Probe Shovel
Ski/Snowboard equipment Lift ticket Lunch
Lift tickets are not included in the price of the tour. Please wait until the morning of the tour to purchase lift tickets so that the guide can advise you on the type of ticket required.
- 8.00 AM – 8.30 AM: Orientation Organise and check gear for the day Discuss days conditions and planned routes with guides Fill out mountaineers card
- 8.30 AM – 9.30 AM: Lifts Take the lifts to the BC access point for the day and do basic beacon checks.
- 9.30 AM – 10.00 AM: Hike 1 A short hike will take you to the first powder area of the day.
- 10.30 AM – 10:45 AM: First run of the day Time to crank that smile and enjoy the powder that “Snowzawa” is famous for.
- 10:45 AM – 11.15 AM: Hike 2 A short hike and lift ride will bring you back to the top of out BC area.
- 11.15 AM – 11.45 AM:Second run Another pristine powder field ready for you to make your mark.
- 11.45 AM – 13.00PM: Hike and lunch Another short hike, lift and then lunch before we take on the afternoon.
- 13.00PM – 15.30PM : More powder Nothing better for after lunch than chomping into some more powder. Guides will make the most of conditions by choosing routes perfect for your group.
- 15.30PM – 16.30PM : Homeward bound Time to head back to base camp, return gear and have a beer with your guides.